This workshop begins with a mini tour for kids of Shaun Tan’s current ‘Tales from the Inner City-The Original Paintings’ exhibition at FAC. In his works, Tan employs animals to create wondrous, and sometimes surreal tales of cities we live in.
Under the guidance of local artist Ben Crappsley, create your own fantastical creature or animal within its own world. Learn how to use a variety of mixed media drawing equipment and techniques, such as graphite pencil, paint pens and markers, while focusing on composition and form. Design your own creature, capturing its unique character including a colourful, textured background for it to live in. Works will be drawn onto boards for you to take home and hang on your wall.
Information for Parents:-
Please send your child with a sunhat and sunscreen as we may take them outside for breaks. All breaks are supervised by the tutor or a member of FAC Kids’ Classes staff
- Please ensure your child has water, snack and/or lunch if a longer class
- Your child should wear old clothes or bring an apron/art smock as some of the classes can get messy
- Please sign the class list in the studio when you drop off and pick up your child. Children will not be permitted to leave the studio at the end of class without a parent/guardian
- All tutors and FAC Kids’ Classes staff hold valid Working with Children Checks
- Parents will be notified when animation, film, photos or ceramics works are ready (this can take up to 4 weeks from the end of the holiday program)
- All materials are included
FAC is a heritage listed building with access limitations. If you have any special access requirements please contact reception on 9432 9555 before enrolling in a course.
Students with Special Requirements:
If you or the person you are wishing to enrol has special requirements, please contact reception on 9432 9555 to discuss suitability and how we can help.
Tutor Ben Crappsley
Since completing his Masters degree in visual art at Curtin University in 2011 Ben Crappsley has continued to develop his arts practice, contributing to numerous group exhibitions, awards and three solo exhibitions.