Learn handbuilding techniques to create ceramic treasures for your own garden including water basins, fountains, urns, pots, hanging planters and more. Using terracotta style clays learn about coiling, hand modelling and sprig mould making. Surface decoration techniques will also be taught and explored including glaze techniques, aged surface treatments and an introduction into non-fired surface effects.
- One bag of clay & a firing fee is included in the cost of the course
What to bring:-
- Notebook & pencil
- An old towel (bath, hand, or tea towels)
- Set square, drawing compass, flexible ruler, eraser, sharpener, tape measure & steel ruler (optional)
- Clay tools (if you have them)
- Images for inspiration
- FAC provides 1 x bag of clay per student, students will be required to purchase further clay if needed
- Closed footwear and appropriate clothing to be worn
Firing & Glazing:-
- It is not always possible to fire and glaze all pieces made before the end of your course. The firing of each individual item is dependent on many factors including:– drying time, thickness, size, amount of work, when pieces are finished (i.e. towards the end of term the kilns are extremely full), and whether the pieces require bisque or glaze firing. We do our upmost to fire as much work as possible each week, however please bear in mind all of the above considerations. Please plan in advance if you would like to glaze in your final week of class.
- Once fired, work is left on the collection shelves and an email sent out with collection times. It is the student’s responsibility to identify and collect their own work.
- There are stand-alone glazing courses on offer each term if you would like to come back and finish your work another time.
Please note, COVID restrictions may apply at the time of this course. By enrolling, you agree to abide by the restrictions at all times while onsite. Please visit the COVID Safe page on our website to read the most up to date information, or visit wa.gov.au.
FAC is a heritage listed building with access limitations. If you have any special access requirements please contact reception on 9432 9555 before enrolling in a course.
Students with Special Requirements:
If you or the person you are wishing to enrol has special requirements, please contact reception on 9432 9555 to discuss suitability and how we can help.
Tutor Dee Jaeger
Dee Jaeger is a passionate about all aspects of pottery, from the properties of wet clay, to the colours and effects of glazing, to the firing itself.Read More