Edgy and Emotive Portraiture Photography (Summer Special) with Philip Gostelow
Take your portrait photography work to another level by learning how to shoot like an editorial photographer! Through a combination of theory and practical exercises, intermediate and advanced level photography enthusiasts will be exposed to new ways of approaching portrait photography in this weekend workshop.
Your tutor, Philip Gostelow, has travelled the world throughout his award-winning career as an editorial portrait photographer and is eager to share his expertise and insights in this field. Spend time soaking up Philip’s skills related to photographic aesthetics, learn techniques for selecting the best lens/lens settings, and how to light for maximum effect. These technical aspects together with practicalities of how to put your subject at ease and choosing the most appropriate shoot location will have you shooting like a pro. You will be guided through the basics of the photographer-subject relationship and will have the opportunity to shoot your own portrait assignment in class time, to be reviewed and discussed in detail the following day.
What to bring:-
- Notebook & pen
- A DSLR camera with at least one lens (fixed/prime lens or zoom) between 28-80mm
- CF or SD memory card for camera with available empty space
- A USB flash drive
- A portable/laptop computer or suitable digital device to upload your cameras files
- Lighting - not essential, but an advantage. Either tungsten or LED free-standing light, on-camera or off-camera flash
- Access to and basic knowledge of post-production software i.e., Photoshop or Lightroom (if you want to adjust and polish finished photos)
- We recommend bringing your own lunch (our onsite coffee cart can be very busy on the weekends)
Please note, COVID restrictions may apply at the time of this course. By enrolling, you agree to abide by the restrictions at all times while onsite. Please visit the COVID Safe page on our website to read the most up to date information or visit wa.gov.au.
FAC is a heritage listed building with access limitations. If you have any special access requirements, please contact reception on 9432 9555 before enrolling in a course.
Students with Special Requirements:
If you or the person you are wishing to enrol has special requirements, please contact Reception on 9432 9555 or email [email protected] to discuss suitability and how we can help.
Tutor Philip Gostelow
Philip Gostelow’s photographic career has spanned three decades, working with some of the world’s leading publications as a portrait specialist and features photographer.