Learn how to work with slip cast, carved and pierced porcelain discovering its unique qualities of whiteness, fine surface, translucency and strength. First, we will cast some vessels to work on using studio moulds . These casts can also be manipulated to change their shape to make your own unique forms. Once cast vessels are out of their moulds you will be taken through a number of surface texturing techniques to produce low relief carving, incising, cut or pierced openings to enhance translucency after firing. Finishing and glazing techniques will be explained and arranged for you.
- A materials & firing fee is included in the cost of the course
What to bring:-
- Hand towel
- Scissors or stanley knife
- Notebook & pen
- Clay tools (if you have them)
- FAC provides 1 x bag of clay per student, students will be required to purchase further clay if needed
- Closed footwear and appropriate clothing to be worn
Firing & Glazing:-
- It is not always possible to fire and glaze all pieces made before the end of your course. The firing of each individual item is dependent on many factors including:– drying time, thickness, size, amount of work, when pieces are finished (i.e. towards the end of term the kilns are extremely full), and whether the pieces require bisque or glaze firing. We do our upmost to fire as much work as possible each week, however please bear in mind all of the above considerations. Please plan in advance if you would like to glaze in your final week of class.
- Once fired, work is left on the collection shelves and an email sent out with collection times. It is the student’s responsibility to identify and collect their own work.
- There are stand-alone glazing courses on offer each term if you would like to come back and finish your work another time.
Please note, COVID restrictions may apply at the time of this course. By enrolling, you agree to abide by the restrictions at all times while onsite. Please visit the COVID Safe page on our website to read the most up to date information, or visit wa.gov.au.
FAC is a heritage listed building with access limitations. If you have any special access requirements please contact reception on 9432 9555 before enrolling in a course.
Students with Special Requirements:
If you or the person you are wishing to enrol has special requirements, please contact reception on 9432 9555 to discuss suitability and how we can help.
Tutor Sandra Black
Sandra Black’s delicate, hand-detailed porcelain pieces are distinctive and well known in Western Australia for their refinement.Read More